What image do you see in your mind when you think of God? For those who have been raised in traditional churches, we have been brought up to think of God as a "Father." Jesus referred to God as his father and when we speak of the Trinity we speak of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. In many respects, God is father, mother, and other. God cannot be defined or contained. But whatever your own experiences of a father, good or bad or somewhere in between, thinking of God as a loving parent gives us some insights:
- If God had a photo album, your photograph would be in it early and often!
- If God went to parties, he'd be telling stories of your latest accomplishment or adventure. God is proud of you!
- The God who created the heavens and the earth and everything in them loves you and thinks about you and wants the best for you!
- God knows you, the best and the worst, and loves you anyway and there's nothing you can do about it!
- God wants you to enjoy life in all of its fullness here and now, but he is waiting eagerly for you to be with him where he can wrap you in his arms and show you his love.
"But while he was still a long way off, his father (God) saw him (you) and was filled with compassion; he ran to his son (daughter), threw his arms around him (her) and kissed him (her)." This is what it will like to go home.
The picture is entitled "First Day in Heaven."